Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ice Cream Pumpkin Pie


I had 1/2 a can of Libby's canned Pumpkin Puree leftover from Thanksgiving in the fridge, so I decided to make another version of Pumpkin Pie that I found in The Junior League Centennial Cookbook. This recipe was originally published in Epicure, and was submitted by the Orange County, CA Junior League. I used the same gingersnap cookie (ginger biscuit) crust that I used for my Pumpkin Chiffon Pie instead of the store-bought shortbread pie crust called for in the recipe, so the substitution is noted below. It's yummy!--just like a second taste of Thanksgiving!

1 (9-inch) pie crust (or prepared gingersnap crust--see my Thanksgiving Treats post from Nov.)
1 pint (475ml) vanilla ice cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground or grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

1. Bake and cool pie crust per directions (or per my post if using gingersnaps).
2. Soften and spread the ice cream on the bottom of the pie crust. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the pumpkin with the sugar, spices and salt; stir until thoroughly blended.
3. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks; add the vanilla. Fold into the pumpkin mix.
4. Pour the filling over the layer of ice cream and smooth the top. Place in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight. Cut into wedges 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment